Countries, nationalities and languages

Who speaks what where?

The people

When you are talking about people in general from a particular country, there are some nationalities that you can make plural with an ‘s’, but others can only be formed with the definite article (and no plural ‘s’):

• With both groups you can also use the word ‘people’: British people, German people, etc.
• When you talk about one person from these countries, you need to add woman/man/ person to the group on the right: a Brazilian but a Japanese person; a German but a Swiss person, etc.